(October 23, 2016)- A driver involved in a Saturday night traffic crash succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.
On October 22nd at around 7:30 PM, Cape Coral Police responded to a single vehicle crash in the 3500 block of Country Club Boulevard. The driver, Ronald Burge, 59 of Cape Coral, suffered life-threatening head injuries after being ejected from his motor scooter and was trauma alerted to a local hospital. Mr. Burge passed away as a result of his injuries the following day.
The preliminary synopsis of the Major Crash Investigaror is below:
DATE: October 22, 2016
TIME: 7:30 pm
LOCATION: 3500 block Country Club Boulevard
ASSIGNED MCI: M/Cpl. A. Satterlee
VEHICLE 1: 2015 Bentelli Motorscooter.
DRIVER 1: Ronald Alan Burge, W/M, DOB: 4-2-1957, of 1105 SE 5th Terrace, Cape Coral, FL 33990.
DRIVER 1 INJURIES: Burge suffered life-threatening, and later fatal, head injuries in the traffic crash.
SYNOPSIS: Vehicle 1, a 2015 Bentelli Motorscooter, was traveling north on Country Club Boulevard in the 3500 block in the outside lane. The vehicle drifted to the right and drove off the roadway. The bottom right of the vehicle struck a large rock in a grassy area off the edge of the roadway which caused the driver to lose control. The vehicle high-sided (turned clockwise and ejected the driver forward) causing the driver to strike his head on the roadway. The vehicle flipped and came to rest off the edge of the roadway. The driver came to rest partly in the roadway. Lee County EMS trauma alerted the male driver to a local hospital by ambulance.
At the hospital it was determined that the driver suffered a life threatening brain injury. At 11:59 AM on 10-23-16, the driver of Vehicle 1 died at the hospital. MCI officers A. Satterlee and D. Gray, Victim Advocate, and Forensics personnel responded. The driver of Vehicle 1 WAS wearing a helmet at the time of the traffic crash. This traffic crash IS alcohol/drug related. No living relatives could be located for Mr. Burge.
***There are 7 traffic fatalities and 26 MCI usages in our city in 2016. (There are 0 fatalities that are ruled "medical" and the cause of death is not related to injuries in the traffic crash. These 0 "medical" fatalities are not included in the number of traffic fatalities).**
Breakdown of the past 6 years FYI:
- 2016: 7 Traffic fatalities, 3 DUI related (26 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 0 medical ruled death)
- 2015: 13 Traffic fatalities, 9 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled death)
- 2014: 10 Traffic fatalities, 5 DUI related (40 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical ruled death)
- 2013: 19 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 3 medical ruled deaths)
- 2012: 10 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (21 MCI usages)
- 2011: 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (24 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical and 1 suicide ruled deaths)