Cape Coral Police Department

1100 Cultural Park Blvd

Cape Coral, FL 33990

Date: April 11, 2011

Subject: Cape Coral Police and Fire Departments Celebrate NationalPublic Safety Telecommunications Week

Before a Police Officer goes anywhere with their lights and sirens on,or a Fire Fighter/EMT or Paramedic responds to provide assistance,someone has to tell them where they are needed. That someone is anEmergency Communications Telecommunicator or 9-1-1 Operator.

April 10-16, 2011 is National Public Safety Telecommunications Weekwhich will honor the thousands of public safety -communicators who workbehind the scenes to answer thousands of calls for help every day.

National Public Safety Telecommunications Week (NPSTW) is the time whenpeople from all over the public safety field and beyond expressappreciation for the people who make telecommunications work. The weekwas started by Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials(APCO) member, Patricia Anderson in 1981 in Contra Costa, California andhas grown into a national celebration. In 1991, the second full week ofApril was proclaimed National Public Safety Telecommunications Week byCongress and is celebrated each year by APCO International and publicsafety communications organizations across the nation.

The majority who work within the City of Cape Coral emergencycommunications center are already state certified and hold additionalnational certifications through A.P.C.O. Of the current staff who worksin the center, 71% are certified by the state of Florida as certified9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicator. Of the remaining 29%, all but onemember will have received certification status within the next year.

The 911 operators and Telecommunicators work 24/7, 365 days year. Theywork dayshifts and nightshifts - 12 hours a day, they are in onholidays, weekends, they have missed birthdays and family events, andthey report to work when we tell everyone else to stay home due tosevere weather or emergency situations but few people think about themday in and day out.

The 911 Operator and Telecommunicators are rarely seen, they are thevoices who answer, "911, what is your emergency?" They are there whenyou call for help in the middle of the night and they try to stay on theline with you, offering comfort or support until help arrives.

"The Cape Coral Police Department as well as the Cape Coral FireDepartment are grateful for the hard working men and women who work inour Communications Center. Their work often goes unseen but notunnoticed and certainly not unappreciated by the Officers andFirefighters out on the streets." -Lieutenant Tony Sizemore.