CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT
Public Affairs Office
1100 Cultural Park Boulevard
Cape Coral, FL 33990
"Operation Miramar CRACKdown" Targets Narcotics Activity
(May 12, 2014)- A 3-month investigation, targeting a high drug activity area in South Cape Coral has resulted in numerous arrests thanks to the work of the Cape Coral Police Department Vice, Intelligence, and Narcotics (VIN) Unit.
The Cape Coral Police Department Vice, Intelligence and Narcotics (VIN) Unit identified the Miramar Street corridor in south Cape Coral as an area plagued with crack cocaine sales and usage. As a proactive approach to the problem, VIN Unit, lead by Detective Chica, developed confidential sources and aggressively pursued those that were selling/delivering crack cocaine and/or any other illicit narcotics in that vicinity.
Over a 3 month investigative period the following were arrested:
- Willie James Tyler (B/M 01/14/83) - 3 counts Sale of Cocaine (1 count within 1000’ feet of a church)/3 counts Possession of Cocaine/1 count Trafficking an Opium Derivative (30 Dilaudid pills, 6 grams)/1 count of Resisting w/o Violence.
- Jovan Darnell Merricks (B/M 07/14/85) - 2 counts Sale Of Cocaine/2 counts Sale Of Heroin/2 counts Possession of Cocaine/2 counts Possession of Heroin/1 count Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Sell/1 count Possession of Heroin with Intent to Sell/1 count of Child Neglect/1 count of Battery on an Officer.
- Michael Moss (B/M 02/29/64) – 2 counts Sale of Cocaine/2 counts Possession of Cocaine.
- Jennifer Berthel (W/F 11/19/82) – 1 count Sale of Cocaine/1 count Possession of Cocaine/1 count Child Neglect.
- Ryan McArthur (W/M 02/15/78) – 1 count Sale of Cocaine/1 count Possession of Cocaine/1 count Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Sell.
- Brownel Samuel Flanders (B/M 01/03/74) – 1 count Sale of Cocaine/1 count Possession of Cocaine/1 count Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Sell/1 count Out of County Warrant (Collier County – Felony State Probation for Aggravated Battery).
Two additional subjects are each pending arrest for 1 count Sale Of Cocaine and 1 count Possession of Cocaine.
"Our VIN Detectives have done an outstanding job at focusing on an area that has, in recent years, seen not only physical blight, but also the blight of hard-core narcotics activity. Hopefully, through continued enforcement activities, renovation and growth in that area, and partnership with our community, we can create an environment where such activity simply can't take hold."- Det. Sergeant Dana Coston, Cape Coral Police Department Public Affairs Officer.