(January 11, 2016)-
Cape Coral Police Department
As of 3AM on Monday, January 11th all roadways are open.
The detail of 14 officers has been reduced to 7 as a result of no longer being required to block any roadways.
The remaining 7 officers are roaming in the areas affected by the tornado (providing security for power crews as well as residents).
All debris has been pushed to the sides of the roadway on Beach Pkwy and Chiquita (roads previously blocked). Crews will be working to remove the debris in the morning, however the roads are able to be safely traveled as of this time.
Monday morning commuters should be reminded that although the roadways are open, allow extra time for their commute due to power crews still working to restore power as well as cleanup crews removing debris from the roadside.
A relief crew of 7 officers will be arriving at 0600 hrs to relieve the overnight crew.
Cape Coral Fire Department
No citizens used the shelter last night.
No reported injuries.
About 65 residents are on generator power. CCFD assisted with generator safety.
Safety Tips for Generator usage
- Never use a generator indoors and always keep the generator in well ventilated area a minimum of five feet from the home. The generator should not be near any openings such as doors or windows.
- Have several battery carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors installed throughout the home.
- Store spare fuel in approved containers and away from heat sources such as the generator.
- Turn off appliances prior to starting the generator.
- Let the generator cool for a minimum of 5 minutes prior to refueling.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator or use approved heavy duty outdoor extension cords.
All major roadways opened.
Sign crews will be out putting up stop signs where needed.
Crews will be out on the water today surveying the canals for debris. Boaters should use
caution if they are on the water.
Crews have been working around the clock.
As of 6AM approximately 200 customers are without power.
Initial damage assessment is complete.
CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT | Public Affairs Office | 1100 Cultural Park Boulevard | Cape Coral, FL 33990 | (239) 242-3341