(October 21, 2016)- The driver of a truck that struck and killed a bicyclist and then fled the scene has been sentenced to prison.
On October 6th, 2016, suspect Timothy Wayne Turner (DOB: 10-30-66) was sentenced in the hit and run fatality that occurred in the 1300 block of NE Pine Island Road on February 1, 2015. Turner pled no contest to one count of Hit and Run Causing Death on July 27, 2016. Turner has been sentenced to the following:
- 10 years state prison (4 years minimum mandatory)
- Followed by 10 years state probation
- 120 hours of community service
- Driver’s license suspension for 12 years
- Attend Victim Impact Panel
- Attend the high risk driver school
- Attend the trauma center high risk school
- Must attend and complete outpatient substance abuse counseling
- Can have no POSSESSION of alcohol or drugs
- Must pay restitution in the case
- Civil fines also assessed (unknown amount)
On February 1, 2015, Turner had been drinking at Hustler’s Pool Hall and left in his pickup truck. He drove his truck east on NE Pine Island Road, and at the 1300 block, struck a bicyclist on the shoulder of the roadway. The impact forced the victim into the ditch area. Cape Coral Police patrol officers and Cape Coral Fire Department units responded to the area (during nighttime hours) and did not locate the suspect vehicle or the victim. Several hours later CCPD responded to a call of a man down and located the victim deceased in the ditch. Autopsy results showed that the victim died due to injuries suffered in the traffic crash. Major Crash Investigators responded and started a Major Crash Investigation which eventually developed Turner as a suspect. Turner was located at his house with the suspect vehicle parked on the side and the rear “capper” removed off the back of the vehicle and hidden in his back yard. MCI officers were able to match damage profiles and received a confession from Turner.
ARRESTED: Timothy Wayne Turner, W/M, DOB: 10-30-1966, of 2203 NE 15th Terrace, Cape Coral FL.
CHARGES: Hit and Run- Failing to Stop at Crash Involving Death
Links to previous news releases are below:
CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT | Public Affairs Office | 1100 Cultural Park Boulevard | Cape Coral, FL 33990 | (239) 242-3341