(March 5, 2017)- A motorcyclist who crashed into a utility pole on February 10th has died.
On February 10th at around 10:30 PM, Cape Coral Police responded to a single-vehicle crash involving a motorcycle and a utility pole in the 600 block of Del Prado Boulevard South.
The motorcyclist, identified as 40 year-old Christopher Michael Vincent Zigarelli, suffered multiple life threatening injuries. The Major Crash Investigator responded to work that crash, due to the extent of injuries.
Yesterday, the Major Crash Investigator was notified that Mr. Zigarelli died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the crash. The investigation is ongoing.
The Major Crash Investigator provided the preliminary synopsis below:
DATE: February 10, 2017
TIME: 10:27 PM
LOCATION: Del Prado Boulevard/SE 6 Lane
ASSIGNED MCI: Officer D. Gray
VEHICLE 1: 2001 green Suzuki motorcycle.
DRIVER 1: Christopher Michael Vincent Zigarelli, 40 W/M, of Fort Myers, Florida.
DRIVER 1 INJURIES: Zigarelli suffered multiple life threatening injuries.
SYNOPSIS: Vehicle 1 was North on Del Prado in the outside lane. For unknown reasons, Vehicle 1 drifted to the right and drove off the edge of the roadway and onto the sidewalk. Vehicle 1 continued and struck a wooden utility pole head on. The driver was ejected from the vehicle and came to rest in the roadway. The driver suffered multiple life threatening injuries and was trauma alerted to a local hospital by ambulance.
It was determined that the driver WAS NOT wearing a helmet at the time of the traffic crash. It is unknown if this traffic crash is alcohol/drug related. The next-of-kin HAS BEEN notified. Further investigation is being conducted and the driver is listed in critical but stable condition in the ICU.
On March 4, 2017, Lee Memorial Hospital advised that driver of Vehicle 1 died in the hospital. Next of kin HAS BEEN notified. Autopsy conducted on 3/5/2017.
A Traffic Homicide Investigation is being completed.
***There are 1 traffic fatalities and 5 MCI usage in our city in 2017. (There are 0 fatalities that are ruled "medical" and the cause of death is not related to injuries in the traffic crash. These 0 "medical" fatalities are not included in the number of traffic fatalities).***
Breakdown of the past several years, FYI:
- 2017: 1 Traffic fatalities, 0 DUI related (5 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 0 medical ruled death)
- 2016: 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (35 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 0 medical ruled death)
- 2015: 13 Traffic fatalities, 9 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled death)
- 2014: 10 Traffic fatalities, 5 DUI related (40 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical ruled death)
- 2013: 19 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 3 medical ruled deaths)
- 2012: 10 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (21 MCI usages)
- 2011: 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (24 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical and 1 suicide ruled deaths)
CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT | Public Affairs Office | 1100 Cultural Park Boulevard | Cape Coral, FL 33990 | (239) 242-3341