(January 2, 2018)- Cape Coral saw its first fatality on the roads for 2018 yesterday afternoon.
At around 4:00 PM, Cape Coral Police responded to the intersection of SW Pine Island Road and Nott Road on a vehicle vs. pedestrian crash.
The investigation revealed that the driver, Brandon Andre Newson, B/M, 25, of Cape Coral, Florida hit and killed Maria Laurentina Schreiner, W/F, 54, of Cape Coral, Florida while driving eastbound on Pine Island Road.
The Major Crash Investigator responded and took over the investigation. Forensics and a Victim Advocate responded to assist.
The crash is still under investigation, but alcohol or drugs are not believed to be a factor.
The preliminary synopsis of the Major Crash Investigator is below:
DATE: January 1, 2018
TIME: 3:54 PM
LOCATION: SW Pine Island Road/Nott Road
ASSIGNED MCI: Officer D. Gray
VEHICLE 1: White 2007 Ford Ranger pickup.
DRIVER 1: Brandon Andre Newson, B/M, 25, of Cape Coral, Florida.
DRIVER 1 INJURIES: Newson was not injured in the crash.
PEDESTRIAN 1: Maria Laurentina Schreiner, W/F, 54, of Cape Coral, Florida.
PEDESTRIAN 1 INJURIES: Schreiner suffered fatal injuries in the crash.
SYNOPSIS: Vehicle 1 was traveling east on SW Pine Island Road approaching the intersection with Nott Road in the outside straight lane. The pedestrian was walking to the east (with her back to oncoming traffic) along the bicycle lane to the right of the east outside vehicle travel lane of SW Pine Island Road approaching the intersection with Nott Road.
Vehicle 1 drifted to the right out of its lane and into the bicycle lane. The front portion of Vehicle 1 collided with the pedestrian in the bicycle lane. The pedestrian came to rest in the south lane of Nott Road, approximately 164 feet from the area of impact. Vehicle 1 continued east along the bicycle lane and grass shoulder, crossed east over Nott Road (north and south lanes) and came to final rest, facing southeast, in the drainage ditch to the right of the east lanes of SW Pine Island Road.
The pedestrian suffered fatal injuries in the crash. The driver of Vehicle 1 was not injured.
MCI Ofc D. Gray and DRE Sgt A. Kolak responded. CCPD Forensics personnel and Victim Advocate also responded.
Alcohol/drugs ARE NOT a factor in the traffic crash. Next-of-kin HAVE BEEN notified.
***There are 1 traffic fatalities and 1 MCI usages in our city in 2018. (There are 0 fatalities that are ruled "medical" and the cause of death is not related to injuries in the traffic crash.
These 0 "medical" fatalities are not included in the number of traffic fatalities).***
Breakdown of the past several years, FYI:
- 2018= 1 Traffic fatalities, 0 DUI related (1 MCI usages)(this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 0 medical ruled death)
- 2017= 17 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (46 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 0 medical ruled death)
- 2016= 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (35 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 0 medical ruled death)
- 2015= 13 Traffic fatalities, 9 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled death)
- 2014= 10 Traffic fatalities, 5 DUI related (40 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical ruled death)
- 2013= 19 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 3 medical ruled deaths)
- 2012= 10 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (21 MCI usages)
CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT | Public Affairs Office | 1100 Cultural Park Boulevard | Cape Coral, FL 33990 | (239) 242-3341