It is very often that you will be driving on a busy roadway to find one of the lanes in front of you is blocked. We all hope that it is not a traffic crash. It is a disabled vehicle causing the delay. The driver might be sitting inside the disabled vehicle with the flashers on or the driver may have left the disabled vehicle unattended to go get help. Do you know what is required of you if your vehicle becomes disabled on a roadway and is blocking traffic?

Florida State Statute 316.071 Disabled vehicles obstructing traffic.—Whenever a vehicle is disabled on any street or highway within the state or for any reason obstructs the regular flow of traffic, the driver shall move the vehicle so as not to obstruct the regular flow of traffic or, if he or she cannot move the vehicle alone, solicit help and move the vehicle so as not to obstruct the regular flow of traffic. Any person failing to comply with the provisions of this section shall be cited for a nonmoving violation ($113).

Disabled vehicles in the roadway can be very dangerous to the other drivers. If your vehicle breaks down and becomes completely disabled you are required to solicit help.

Here are some suggestions:

  • Pull off the road as far and safely as possible.

  • Please turn your flasher lights on.

  • You can call the local Police Department.

  • If you are capable to push the car off the roadway by yourself and it can be done safely, please do so.

  • If you are attempting to push your own car, there is a chance someone will give you a hand.

  • Get an emergency kit that has jumper cables and reflective devices to let other drivers know that you are broken down.

  • You can also call a tow truck. If you have AAA, please call them.

  • You can also call a friend to come help.

  • Please be careful getting out of your car. Other drivers might not see you.

  • Please do not leave your vehicle unattended and disabling traffic. If you do this, I can guarantee you that the Police Department will call a tow truck and tow you car.

  • Please be careful in whichever decision you make.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.58.42 AM.png


CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT | Public Affairs Office | 1100 Cultural Park Boulevard | Cape Coral, FL 33990 | (239) 242-3341